teaching & learning
KSI Bogotá is proud to be an IB World School offering the International Baccalaureate. At KSI Bogotá we strive to provide all our learners, aged 4-18 with a balanced, relevant, engaging and differentiated education to ensure the success of all our students.
We support the development of independent lifelong learners and our inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning, promotes the development of critical-thinking skills. Our holistic approach to education encourages international mindedness, allowing students to graduate as global citizens and lifelong learners.
We offer a fully bilingual program in English and Spanish that complies with the Colombian Ministry of Education requirements.
teaching & learning
The International Baccalaureate (IB)
Students follow The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP) and the Diploma Programme (IBDP).
The IB philosophy of education is unique for the following reasons:
- Develops strong academic, social and emotional characteristics
- Encourages students of all ages to think critically and challenge assumptions
- Developed independently of government and national systems, incorporating quality practice from research and our global community of schools
- Encourages students of all ages to consider both local and global contexts
- Develops multilingual students
- Challenges students to drive their own learning
- Allows students to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world
Students in the middle years follow the Colombian curriculum, a framework of learning which encourages students to establish practical connections between their studies and the real world, with a focus around the personal, social and academic needs of the child.
KSI Bogota was awarded an ICFES Ranking of A+, the highest grade awarded by ICFES. Our focus on academics and looking at the social and emotional wellbeing of a child have led to our students surpassing the worldwide average.
The School follows Calendar B, with the school year beginning in August/ September and ending in June.
At KSI Bogota we believe every child is unique, and our leading preschool programme focuses on supporting a young child’s social and emotional wellbeing. The preschool programme provides a bilingual learning environment, with full English immersion for children 4-7.
Recognised by the Great Place to Study for happiness, KSI Bogota strives to create a nurturing and inspiring learning environment where your child’s curiosity is placed at the center of their growth.
- Social and emotional skills are developed to support their emerging independence.
- The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme is followed from reception, offering children a range of practical and creative activities and develops oral, literacy and numeracy skills as well as placing emphasis on independence and social interaction.
- The preschool programme has been carefully tailored for children, laying the strong foundations that help to prepare them for their transition into the primary years and secondary years.
The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside.
It is a framework guided by six interdisciplinary themes of global significance. Students deepen their learning by developing their conceptual understandings, strengthening their knowledge and skills across and beyond subject areas.
Themes are explored using knowledge and skills derived from six subject areas (All subjects are seen in English, except Spanish and Physical Education):
- Social Studies
- Arts (Music, Dance & Visual)
- Personal, Social and Physical Education
The school year is divided into six units that follow the transdisciplinary themes of the PYP. All six subject areas are integrated into each Unit of Inquiry.
The six transdisciplinary themes of the PYP are:
- Who we are
- Where are we in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organize ourselves
- Sharing the planet
The Middle Years Programme, years 7-11 provides a framework of learning which encourages students to establish practical connections between their studies and the real world. The framework encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers. Inspired by the IB philosophy, students are taught the Colombian curriculum, with a focus around the personal, social and academic needs of the child. MAP Testing is administered periodically during the school year to help improve learning for all students and make informed decisions to promote a child’s academic growth. During their middle years students take part in LIFE classes promoting social and emotional wellbeing.
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is offered to years 12 &13 and is aimed at preparing students for success at university and life beyond and has gained recognition and respect from the world’s leading universities. The curriculum is made up of six subject groups and the DP core, comprising theory of knowledge (TOK), creativity, activity, service (CAS) and the extended essay. The programme aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge – students who flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically. Students reflect on the nature of knowledge, complete independent research and undertake a project that often involves community service.
Students in Secondary School take the below classes:
Note: All subjects are taught in English, excluding Spanish and Physical Education
- English Language Arts
- Integrated Science (Years 7-9)
- Physics (Years 10-11)
- Chemistry (Years 10-11)
- Biology (Years 10-11)
- Social Science
- Technology (Years 7-9)
- Physical Education